From:
Terri McFadden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:03:29 -0400
It depends on the museum - the 3 that I have worked at have different
requirements.  Some museums have evening hours and volunteers are able to
come in then.  As far as a minimum number of hours, it is difficult to get
much done in an hour or less.  I volunteered for a number of years and was
encouraged by a staff member to try to get a job in a museum.  I added
museum studies courses to my college work, had an internship, and have been
working in the field for more than 10 years.  It is certainly possible to
get quality experience as a volunteer, but be flexible and understand that
you are there to help the institution, as well as to gain background and
experience for yourself.

Terri McFadden
Museum Education Coordinator
Beverly Historical Society