From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:47:22 -0600
>>> Does anyone know where to get
works prepared this way or have any other ideas for simple,
extra-cheap
pseudo-framing?
Thanks,
Sasha

For a couple of years I used a system that I think was called
Insta-Frame or Uni-Frame (something like that--a quick search on the Web
failed to turn up anything like I remember, though).

Basically, as sold, it was a hardware kit to hang one picture,
consisting of four plastic clips and a piece of cord with a small spring
on one end.  We completed the outfit with a pane of glass (donated by a
local window company), a matte board and a backboard.  For the most
part, we displayed printouts of digital images (scanned from out photo
collection), so we would tape the printout onto an appropriate sized
matte board (we kept dozens on hand, with standard outside dimensions --
11" x 14", 16" X 20", etc. -- and varying measurements of the "window"
that encloses the image).  This would sandwich that between a same-sized
glass pane and backboard, and one clip would be fitted to each corner of
the "sandwich."  A loop would be made of the cord by feeding it through
a small ring on the free end of the spring, and this loop would be wound
around lugs on the clips.  The free end of the cord is pulled tight, and
the tension from the spring holds the whole assembly together.  The
remaining cord is then wrapped around the lugs until it is all wound
on.

As I said, we mostly used this for displaying photo reproductions (I
wouldn't recommend using tape on originals!), but we did use the same
system for displaying larger original photos and posters as well--it
just took a little longer, as we first had to secure the original piece
onto a backing board using Mylar bands running all around its edges.
Sometimes we would use tape to secure the then-bound original, but most
times the tension of the "sandwich" was enough to hold it in place.

I was able to frame up about 10 reproduction photos an hour using this
system (which didn't seem all that fast when  you've got 80 of them to
do to support a temporary exhibit).  The system looked good, was
versatile, and fairly cheap (it took a fair investment in first buying
all the clip kits, the backboards, and cutting the mattes, but after
that, we just kept re-using them).

Hope that helps.

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery
1302 Bomford Crescent S.W.
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 5E6
(403) 502-8587