From:
Kathleen Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:00:56 -0400
Hi, I'm new. Worked in a major U.S. art museum for 5 years; currently
unemployed (don't worry, I'm not asking for a job :).  I just had to reply
to the work experience vs. higher degree thing. I've actually observed the
opposite of what Deb noted regarding work experience vs. higher degrees. It
seems at least in the larger art museums for curatorial positions, a newly
minted Ph.D. will be hired over an M.A. or B.A. with some museum experience
every time.  Especially if they come from a prestigious program.

I write this not to be contradictory, but as a cautionary tale to those
going into art history and thinking that they don't need a Ph.D. because
they want to work in a museum.  There are exceptions to every rule of
course, but I think this is the way things are heading. I've heard that MoMA
for example won't hire anyone for a curatorial position who doesn't have a
Ph.D., but in all honesty that may be a rumor.  Again not wanting to start
WWIII, but I also get the distinct impression that most prestigious (for
lack of a better term) art museums would prefer someone with a degree in art
history than with a museum studies degree.

In the spirit of complete disclosure, I stopped at the M.A. in art history
(which I still need to complete my thesis to receive).  My museum career
began with an internship.  After much consideration, I decided not to go for
the Ph.D. because while I love what I do, I simply cannot afford to get any
more in debt and I am probably considered "too old" (over 35) to even get
into a good program.  My personal belief is that the field is now so
competitive that it is not worth going unless you can get into one of the
top programs in your area of specialization.