From:
Sara Habich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:53:33 +0100
Anna,

The Association of Children's Museums' quarterly journal Hand to Hand
published an article in 1990, "Making the Case: What Children's Museums Have
to Offer Downtown Revitalization Efforts" written by museum consultants Gail
Dexter Lord and Ted Silberberg.  Though the article is several years old and
addresses children's museums specificially, it is a great evaluation of the
"what's in it for me?" question on all sides-the benefits for the museum,
the developers, the other retailers an institutions involved, and the city.
The article also outlines a process of negotiating with city officials.  Let
me know if you're interested in purchasing this back issue (cost is $20 +$3
s&h for non-members of ACM).

In the way of statistics, children's museums are experienced partners in
such projects.  In the Association of Children's Museums' most recent
statistical survey of the field, 69 children's museums reported involvement
in a downtown revitalization project (over 32% of ACM's institutional
members).  Hope this helps.  I'd be interested to know of other research
that you find, also.

Sara Habich
Association Assistant
Association of Children's Museums
1300 L Street NW, Suite 975
Washington, DC 20005
(p) 202/898-1080
(f) 202/898-1086
(e) [log in to unmask]

Mark your calendars!  InterActivity 2003 set for May 1-3, 2003 in Houston,
Texas!