From:
Troy Whitbread <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:06:04 +0000
Greetings,

Many thanks for the posting John, that one's definitely a keeper. I've
noticed in my own search that the HR "culture" of nonprofits seem to follow
that of the corporate sector, although the corporate sector seems to be
constructing a great many more unnecessary hoops for job seekers to jump
through (I'm sure due to the number of people applying all with identical
backgrounds).

For the most part, I've found the information on monster.com to be really
helpful in preparing me for most of what HR throws at an applicant, although
there are some parts of working with nonprofits that only comes with
experience. However most of the information I've seen is instructions on how
to be a job seeker, written from the point of view of a job seeker rather
than from the point of view of HR. I have found website job help files on
museum sites with HR instructions / expections extremely useful for
understanding an organization's specific requirements.

The one major problem I've run into really seems to be something more to do
with the infancy of the internet services industry as a whole. I've seen
internet services positions being advertised under a myriad of different
names... webmaster, web services technician, web designer, web content
manager/co-ordinator are the more common ones; but I've also seen terms like
"internet architect" and "web program developer".  Yes, the internet
architect job was listed under "architects" in one of the more popular
nonprofit job listing sites! I realize this isn't as much of a problem with
the more traditional museum positions, but I've seen some bizarre variations
there as well.

The discussion of computer competency in the museum world in general always
amazes me in this day and age, because there are tons of resources available
for us to take advantage of. Professional Associations are there for a
reason, people! These organizations WANT to provide better services to their
members, including such things as computer training. I'm originally from
British Columbia, and I know that the BC Museums Association offers several
computer training opportunities for their members, HR museum staff included.
I know not every professional association has the resources to provide
computer training, but then, how do they know there's a need if nobody
requests it?

cheers,

Troy Whitbread