From:
Julie Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:33:24 -0500
We currently have a senior outreach program where our docents give a slide
lecture about works form our collection and special exhibition at Senior
Citizen homes and retirement centers.  During the 2001-2002 year, the
Outreach Committee of nine docents gave 45 slide presentations to area
retirement homes.   These visits are coordinated by sending out
informational letters and making follow up telephone calls were sent out in
the fall, winter, and spring.  In the majority of cases, presentations
covered the special exhibits at the museum. Our Education Coordinator and
two docents presented this project at last year's  National Docent
Symposium.  Their presentation on how to initiate a program for seniors fit
well with the keynote speech on the changing age of museum visitors.

Julie Thomson
Community Outreach Coordinator
Kresge Art Museum
Michigan State University