From:
Carol Ely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:22:39 -0400
I don't know why, Jason, you thought that it was a good career move to
insult everyone on this list. "Ivory tower" and "Ivy league"? Why do you
assume no one else did this the hard way, no one suffered, no one ate ramen?
Here's your chance to network, meet possible employers, and you've just
proven that you can't handle the pressure with any grace. But nonetheless,
the generous folk on the list, who have experienced your frustration too
(you thought that they didn't know?) have offered excellent advice.

This is not a field that offers a clear path to the top, or even to the
middle. Think creatively. Accept the randomness of the process.

What do YOU, uniquely, have to offer? Who might just need that? Offer it.
Offer it for free until someone realizes that you're worth paying in order
to get more (has worked for me!)

If you have to have a non-museum "day job", try to find one that offers
skills you can transfer, or contacts you can use (has worked for me!)

With the downsizing of staff going on now, and more to come, everyone's
willingness to be flexible about duties or hours, or work part time, or on a
contract basis, might be the best shot at a "job". (has worked for me!)

You might be able to create your own job. Develop a proposal with an
institution that wants you, and raise the funds. (has worked for me!)

Someone wisely said, I think on this list, "when you're looking for work,
it's not who you know, it's who already knows ABOUT YOU." How can you make
yourself known? (other than by angry letters to Museum-L)

Carol Ely
Museum Consultant, Louisville
(never ate Ramen, just lots of spaghetti.... )