From:
Margot Brunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 08:09:18 -0600
One of the contributors to the Museum Mannequins handbook recently visited the Dorfman company and had these comments:

"Dorfmans was great. They are very nice people and very meticulous in
their way of working. A nice family company too. They are always
eager for new suggestions about how to improve their products from
the Ethafoam mannequins to their custom jobs. They are very aware of
archival matters and try to steer people in the right direction for
their needs. I liked them a lot!.."

There are many, many excellent mannequin makers. Figures can be an expensive investment and it's worth it to investigate all the choices. You can get museum quality mannequins by either making your own following step-by-step instructions, or by taking a course, or by writing specs for contracting out, or by buying ready-made models, or by commissioning life-like figures.

We are very grateful for the contributions of the many experienced conservators/mountmakers who have shared their methods, references and material lists with us.

Margot Brunn, Joanne White
Editors of Museum Mannequins: A Guide for Creating the Perfect Fit
http://cac-accr.ca/arg_mann.html

Also note this upcoming workshop
Costume Mannequins: Innovative methods for constructing and casting custom archival forms
October 5-9, 2002
Textile Conservation Center
Lowell, Massachusetts
978-441-1198