From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:09:49 -0400
Cindi, I have had to find good, inexpensive ways to mount fraktur
(watercolor works on paper) that probably present a similar problem. I'm not
sure what sizes you are dealing with, but here are some on the cheap
solutions that I have found.
First, good looking inexpensive frames and mats.  What I have done with the
fraktur is "float" them in standard size mats that I reuse. No, it's not
custom cut mats (maybe a staff member could learn how to do it?) but if you
get a mat that is close to the size, center the piece in the opening, it's
not half bad.  I buy Light Impressions mats that are sold in quantities of
10.  They are excellent.
Now , my favorite new cheap, but good looking frame supplier is FrameUSA
(www.frameusa.com). I have purchased a frame made out of composition
material, with a rustic wood photographic finish (I guess that's what it is)
that has fooled some pretty upscale folks. These frames can be drilled just
like regular wood.  FrameUSA sells a wide variety, but this style are really
great for the look I'm trying to achieve.  Glazing, well, this gets costly,
but this is where you have to spend your $$$ -- I buy the precut UV stuff
from Light impressions, but I reuse it again and again.
Hardware: turnbuttons to hold the matted piece into the frame, and security
straps with security screws for wall mounting.  I love www.unitedmfrs.com.
You need to set up an account with them but their products are great and
cheap. Security screws and screwdriver are available through Benchmark, and
are also reuseable.
Paint out your hardware, and that makes a goodlooking exhibit!  Oh, and
teach yourself how to make Japanese paper hinges for mounting the work in
the mat.  Mind you, I am a moron when it comes to things like this and I can
do it.  It is reversible and not hard, just a little time consuming.  A
careful intern or volunteer is great to do this...I trust them on the less
significant works (I should add that I only use these methods on what I
consider secondary works; our masterpieces are entrusted to our
conservators.)
Hope this helps!
Candace Perry
Schwenkfelder Library & Heritage Center