From:
Julie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 18:10:25 -0500
We are small, so here goes:

ME--long-term exhibition planning, exhibition research and curatorial
functions including publications and some publicity, educational program
development relating to exhibitions, budgeting, planning the general
exhibition design and layout, docent training.  I am overall supervisor and
plan when things will happen from 3months-5yrs out according to
institutional priorities.

Exhibitions Associate--daily contacts, paperwork and task planning relating
to exhibitions, logistics and registration duties, specific exhibition
design and layout, mount making, etc.  May also do some shorter-term
curatorial work for specific exhibitions if my time is tight (such as now,
planning for a major curated exhibition and developing a new outdoor
exhibition area).  General arbiter of what happens on a daily/weekly basis.

Gallery Technician--exhibition installation and maintenance, maintain
storage areas, crating/uncrating, will be increasing hours from 12 per week
to 20 per week and absorbing some logistics planning duties. He does some
exhibition design as well.

This works well for us mainly because of the personalities involved--my
associate is more spontaneous and intuitive while I prefer to strategically
plan "the big picture", and the tech is a physical kind of person--and
because of the way our institution works, which is very team-based.  It has
evolved over the past 6 years we have been working together and if our
little group ever breaks up, I don't know if the specific assignment of
duties will survive because it is so much based on our own personalities and
preferences.

Julia Muney Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center
820 E. 67th St.
Indianapolis, IN  46220
(317) 255-2464 x233