From:
Aaron Marcavitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:27:47 -0700
Hi everyone,

Well as of July 1, you will be looking at the Interm Executive Director of the American Diner
Museum.  Its a volunteer position, but it will still be an excellent resume builder (including
that all too important fundraising component).

Its now time that I begin to evaluate our next steps.  The current director is mostly taking a
sabattical, so I dont want to step too hard on his toes.  However, there needs to be some new
initatives in the future.  My goal, as someone who knows museum studies (the current ED has a
background more focused in historic preservation), is to move us toward a more museum focused
approach.

We will be using Past Perfect to create all of our legal paperwork (many on artifacts we have
already collected).  We are going to be contacting local museum studies programs to see if they
have students they want to loan us to do work on these collections.  We finally have a temporary
exhibit hall that we will be building an exhibit in.  And we are discussing a traveling exhibit.
ADM already has a strong public education component.

The big step we need to take, therefore, is not in the public education or advocacy sides, but in
the collections and governance issues.  We need to build our board and our advisors.  We need to
fundraise.  Therefore, I ask you as a group the following questions:

1. Are there any thoughts on how to build a nationwide board of directors and how do we do that?
2. Any thoughts on getting a "big name" on our board of advisors or capitol campaign board?
3. Any thoughts on how to gently move people from the board of directors to the board of advisors?
4. Since we are so new, is it worth our while to begin consideration of a MAP program or begin to
look towards accredidation (we will be part of a larger umbrella organization in the next few
years)?
5. We have a potentially sticky situation with our particular objects.  We purchase at risk diners
and then broker them to others who might be in the market for a diner.  Now does that constitute
accession of an object and then an immediate decession?  Are we treading into ethical concerns
here?
6. Lastly, any thoughts on who we should be contacting at AAM or in the New England area (someone
already suggested the New England Museum Association)?

Thanks so much for your time and please----bombard me with answers.  If anyone has a really good
thought or would like to throw out some thoughts, I could possibly meet with you or talk by phone.

Thanks so much!
Aaron

=====
www.aaronmarcavitch.com
Webmaster, VAF (www.vernaculararchitecture.org)
Webmaster, ADM (www.americandinermuseum.org)
Webmaster, Boston Harborfest (www.bostonharborfest.com)
Grad. Student Caucus Chair, Am. Assoc of History & Computing

M.A. (Public) History, Middle TN St. Univ (2002)