From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:51:56 -0700
But are they WILLING and able to pay for it?

Unemployment is now up again.  Many a state budget has
taken severe hits post-9/11.  Here in CA, we're
suffering the fallout of the Enron gouging, and
utility bills are substantively higher than before.

Parents have to have the disposable income to pay.
Then they have to be willing to pay in order to make
your predictions come true.  I buy memberships to
nonprofit organizations for the grandchildren as a way
of sustaining the entities, but there are so many to
which I could contribute, if I had the resources.
Unfortunately, I don't.

Further, when contributions are made to SOME
nonprofits (NPOs), some NPOs exchange mailing
information.  If you've ever solicited patrons for
contributions, you'll find they're often inundated
with requests for funding.

My father's museum legacy taught me to take my
children and, in turn, my grandchildren, and we've
made contributions when and where we can.  But not all
will, nor can they.  There have been times I've had a
lot more money and been a lot more generous (heck, I
taught my kids when they were little that, if they saw
a Salvation Army bellringer at Christmas and they
didn't make some sort of a contribution, it was a
sin--and boy did they remind me if I missed one!), but
these are thin times.

Are you cognizant of the volume of NPOs that are
looking for support from individuals?  Are you reading
philanthrophic materials (such as PNN Online) that
speak to the issue of the state of funding at this
point?  It's getting tougher out there for some
entities, and I'm afraid museums are among them.

Now if parents take their little kid to a museum, and
they are so amazed that they want to contribute, and
their kid turns out to be a Bill Gates, we're in like
Flynn.  Otherwise . . .

--- Merri Pemberton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Most parents are always happy to see
> people take great interests in
> opening their child's eyes to the wonders of our
> cultural world.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> M erri C .Pemberton

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414