From:
"John R. Seitter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 17:39:33 EDT
In a message dated 04/18/2002 11:10:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< While tape recording (sometimes even videotaping) meetings of boards may be
 required by law in some states, I wonder if it useful.  The best "minutes"
 are those that simply record the motions made and actions taken (in addition
 to who attended) and attach whatever documents were reviewed by the board -
 including staff reports.  "Minutes" that try to incorporate a narrative of
 who said what, and so forth, are far in excess of any institution's need.
 (I haven't had much luck persuading any board members of this, however.)
 Ross Weeks Jr.
 Historic Crab Orchard Museum & Pioneer Park
 Tazewell, Va.
 http://histcrab.netscope.net >>
I would respectfully disagree.  On one hand, at least on our board, the
recording secretary is a voting member of the board and actually a member of
the executive committee.  The use of audio tape frees this person from the
tedious task of taking notes and allows them to actively participate in the
board meeting.  Also, the person who is taking the notes is often subjective.
 An audio copy of the boards activities assures that all actions by the
individual board members are accurately recorded.  This is especially
important concerning the legal and fiduciary responsibility of the board.  I
say run the tape.
John Seitter
Executive Director
Camden County Historical Society