From:
"Ciotola, Nicholas P." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:24:24 -0400
This is a pertinent question that warrants a response. Qualified,
experienced museum professionals will often be up for consideration for a
number of positions at one time. Entry-level job seekers may marvel at
having more than one option... but once you are in the profession and
thinking of moving on, this kind of thing can happen much more often than
you think.

From the time that an offer is made, it is normally expected that a
candidate will make a decision within two weeks time. The slow period is the
review process -- from resume to phone interview to personal interview to
offer -- once an offer is made, negotiations can occur over salary, starting
dates, vacation time, etc., etc. -- this can span several weeks as well.

When all is said and done and the final offer is out there, you should let
them know within, at the very latest, two weeks time.

There is an ethics question buried in here as well. Don't string a potential
employer along if you are not seriously considering the position... this
just makes their search more difficult and time consuming. And prevents
someone else from getting started on whatever exciting project(s) needs to
be done.

Nick Ciotola