From:
Pat Nutter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:23:13 -0400
You may also want to check door dimensions / size limitations for whatever
mode of transportation you anticipate using.  If the crate is going to have
to fly, it will need to be able to get through the door of the airplane.

Patricia Nutter
Assistant Registrar
National Museum of Natural History
(202) 357-2990, fax (202) 633-8133

 This may seem obvious, but making sure the crates will fit through a
standard doorway (aprox. 35") can be extremely helpful for small museums.
Trust me, it's not much fun if they don't. A crate that comes in around
250-300lbs. can still be handled with out too much difficulty by
two people if they lift one end and put a floor dolly under it. That is of
course if the delivery truck has a lift gate. Anything over that I would
outfit the crate for a pallet jack or forklift. Another thing when
considering the size of the shipping crate is if the venues have
access to a freight elevator or not. At my age walking artwork up and down
several flights of stairs is more of a workout than I care to do. Of course
my waist line may disagree.

Jerry Fahey
Exhibits Designer
Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville

Lauren Kaminsky wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are standard specs for traveling exhibition
> crates?  I'm aware, of course, that the crate must be made to fit and
> protect the object(s), but I'm wondering if there are guidelines for
> maximum sizes and weights of the packed crates.   It's obviously easier
for
> large institutions with loading docks and forklifts to deal with larger
> crates, but what is too large for a smaller facility?  Are there basic
> guidelines like:  crate up to x pounds can be carried by 2 people, crate
up
> to x pounds by 4 people, crate more than x pounds requires pallet jack
or
> forklift.....?
>
> Thanks for your help!  This may not be of interest to anyone else, so
you
> can reply off-list ([log in to unmask])
>
> Lauren.

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
(without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
(without the quotes).

[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read