From:
Earl Lock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:20:58 -0500
Please be very careful with older mounted or taxidermy animals.  It was very
common in the past to dust the inside of both bird and mammal specimens with
arsenic in order to protect the specimens from being eaten by insects.  The
problem with this is that powered arsenic can with time get out and can be a
real problem.  Arsenic can be absorbed through the skin and exposure to it
should be completely avoided.

If you are not sure that your animals were treated with arsenic, please do
not use them for any hands-on activities or where exposure is possible.
Keep them in sealed cases or tightly tied plastic bags and make sure that
anyone that comes into direct physical contact with them wears appropriate
respirators, gloves, and protective clothing.  Also, contact a larger
natural history museum that can arrange to have your animals tested for
arsenic.

Earl Lock

.