From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:02:26 -0700
> >Has anyone ever done an exhibition based on children's artwork?

I curated a contemporary art gallery for a while and we did an annual show
of student work. There were three arts magnet schools in the immediate area.
We started the tradition when a couple of the artists-in-residence from the
schools applied to show their works. Instead, we began a partnership with
their schools that grew over several years.

Eventually, we had honors arts students from the high school assisting with
installations monthly throughout the school year. Middle school students
visited each new show to learn about different art styles. The culmination
of the the year was a student produced show. High school students selected
their peer judges who were trained by the art teacher. Middle school peer
judges were selected by the artist-in-residence and we worked together for
several sessions to train them, building on the knowledge they had developed
over the year(s). The elementary students created one large installation
piece with their artist-in-residence. The honors students prepared the
program and students from all grades assisted with installation at various
times - always with careful training and oversight to ensure that nothing
was harmed. Students from each school organized and fully staffed receptions
for their peers, teachers, administrators and parents. It was so amazing to
see students expand their understanding of art and how it is shown.

While I realize, you are talking about something much less complex. I would
encourage you to involve your students in developing the exhibit. It can be
a great learning experience by itself and provide an opportunity to reflect
on their work - how they created it and what it means.

Susan B.F. Wageman
Sr. Mgr. Interpretation & Visitor Experience
The Tech Museum of Innovation     [log in to unmask]
145 W San Carlos St.              408-795-6303
San Jose, CA  95113               fax 408-279-7167
http://www.thetech.org/