From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 03:40:44 -0700
--- Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I doubt seriously that a higher percentage of people slept in a fetal
> position in the 19th century than today...and how would you research
> that????? Nobody even how THEY sleep throughout the night.

Well if you think about it, they didn't have heat and summer temps weren't as
bad as they are today. (While some days were as hot as it gets now, overall the
heat isn't as bad from the lack of pavement everywhere and people knew how to
build houses that kept cool.) So in the winter time, you'd want to sleep in a
fetal position to keep yourself warmer - preferably snuggled up next to
someone. :) In the summer time, you could splay out on the bed with all your
limbs hanging off the side which would keep you cooler.

So in conclusion, I think that beds were as long as they needed to be.

Deb