From:
Kathy Mancuso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 00:33:38 -0500
It's worth noting that the Library of Congress's Reading Rooms in the
Jefferson Building (i.e. main reading room, area studies, folklife,
microfilm, genealogy) follow this policy of checking your bag and issuing a
plastic bag for the items you are allowed to carry in.  The other buildings
have smaller reading rooms which have lockers--and many of those
(especially prints & photographs, for obvious reasons) are stricter on what
they allow in the reading room, but your stuff is just steps away.

Kathy Mancuso

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:21:15 -0500, Christine Dwyer
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In the rare book room of my alma mater's library, patrons were supplied
with
>a clear plastic zippered bag -- probably about 14" by 8" -- into which they
>could dump miscellaneous "legal" stuff (i.e. no pens, scissors, etc) for
>convenience.  Department store staff often carry similar bags.  Upon exit
at
>coat/bag check counter, patrons emptied their clear bag (in front of staff)
>and returned bag to staff.  Seemed to work for those who wanted to have a
>cell phone, kleenex, etc handy.
>

>Christine M. Dwyer
>Stanly County Museum & Historic Preservation Commission
>245 East Main Street, Albemarle, NC 28001
>Tel: 704/ 986-3777   Fax: 704/ 986-3778

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-
faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by
sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The
body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).