From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:32:19 -0400
Jason, I don't have honest advice, so maybe you don't want to hear this, but
I can tell you that I got my first professional position as a result of
experience gained in paid internships.  So to me the internship thing was
always the way to go, bar none.  I had excellent references, both academic
and from professionals in the field.  I did not have a degree from a
prestigious program, but I did have an M.A.  My first job was in a small
southern city where many folks would probably not want to live.  I was paid
crap.  But I considered myself terribly fortunate.
So what's the answer? Finding the right fit, I guess. I don't even know how
to address this without imagining you, Jason, throwing up your hands in
exasperation.  I was initially annoyed by your post but  after thinking
about it I can imagine how I'd feel. Maybe you need to narrow your
search...I only looked at very specific positions when I was job seeking.  I
think I only interviewed for one position in my life that wasn't a really
good fit (not being egotistical, it's because I only looked at this very
specific group of jobs).  I have never been without a job, and was always
able to leave a position for the next one when I was ready to go.  I am not
a rocket scientist.  I have a strong, maybe a tad flamboyant personality,
which seems to help in interviews.  I am not the most brilliant, innovative
curator or tidy and efficient collections manager. I haven't published
anything, really.  My previous employers liked me very much and were sad to
see me leave. Perhaps a frank assessment of your strengths and weaknesses
would help.  I don't mean in an Oprah self searching kind of way, but in a
way that will help you narrow your scope. All the great resumes and
practical advice in the world won't help without this, in my opinion. I
don't want to sound like a Pollyanna so I hope that's not how this came
across, 'cause you're one cynical guy right now!  Best wishes!