Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:32:37 -0400
Candace,

I agree!  These kids are being trained that it's OK to destroy property if
it gets you what you want.  Here in Wilmington we have had the same
situation you described but we wound up with bumper stickers reading,
"Skateboarding Is Not a Crime."  Well, I agree, skateboarding is not a
crime, BUT, destroying other people's property is!  A church down the
street has had its granite walls heavily chipped as a result of
skateboarders.  A bank downtown finally installed metal bumps on their low
walls to stop the skateboarders.  The entire point is showing respect for
others and their property and that if you want something bad enough you
work within the system to achieve it.  In summary, these kids have learned
that extortion works!

And I'm not sorry for venting!

Tim

                    Candace Perry
                    <candace@SCHWENKFELD        To:
                    ER.COM>                     [log in to unmask]
                    Sent by: Museum             cc:     (bcc: archive)
                    discussion list             Subject:     Re: Problems with
                    <[log in to unmask]        skateboarders on the museum
                    LSOFT.COM>                  property

                    04/29/2002 10:20 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Museum discussion
                    list

Greetings list: I truly appreciate what everyone is saying with trying to
solve the skateboard problem as diplomatically as possible.  However, the
kids by and large are surly, impolite, and continue to abuse your property
despite warnings.  In the town where my museum is located they have
destoyed benches, stairways, and other outdoor fixtures.  When at last
people really started to protest, and wrote to the paper, the kids rallied
together (which I guess was a good thing) and posted signs on business
doors that said "Don't want us on your property? Build us a skate park!"
This was taken as a threat by some, more flurry in the newspaper, etc. etc.
Well, now they're getting their skate park.  But it really, really makes me
angry that these kids could be so rude, throw around so much attitude and
end up getting what they want.  No apologies to whoever they mistreated, of
course.  Am I sour grapes? You bet!  Have I learned from this? Sure, my
kids will never ever treat people this way and get away with it.  That's
the best I can do!  Sorry, needed to vent!

Candace Perry
Schwenkfelder Library & Heritage Center

[Candace Perry]  -----Original Message-----