From:
Adam Bliss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:52:14 -0700
Teri,
   Have you considered allowing them to do rubbings?
You can supply them with paper and something not too
messy to use for the rubbing and let them record what
they consider the most interesting marker. You could
show them that this is a tradition dateing back to
medieval times.
    You might also give them a family tree to fill in
from the names on the markers. You could teach them
what the born/died dates mean and have them try to
trace a given family history by the names and dates.
John begat George begat Sue and Elvis, etc.I can think
of a few ways to organize this. One way would be to
give them the names and have the kids put them in the
order they were born, or you could give them a
partially completed family tree and have them fill in
the blanks. I'm sure there are other variations on
this theme.
      Hope this helps.
                    Adam
--- Teri Pope <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Greetings to the list,
>
> I am participating in an upcoming community outreach
> fair which will showcase educational opportunities
> for
> kids in our area.  I will be representing the school
> tour program for Sacramento's Old City Cemetery (ca
> 1849) which I manage.  (Believe me, the irony of
> doing
> "living history" in a cemetery is NOT lost on me!)
>
> I am trying to devise something that kids can take
> with them from our table to go with the tour
> brochure.
>  A coloring sheet came to mind, with either
> sketches
> and captions of gravestone symbols (fairly neutral,
> not-to-religious ones) or of noteworthy gravestones
> in
> our cemetery (Mark Hopkins, or John Sutter, Jr., for
> example).
>
> My questions are these:  Would the general public
> find
> these too morbid for children?  And, does anyone
> have
> any other ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Teri Pope
> Educational Tours Coordinator
> Saxramento Old City Cemetery

> http://games.yahoo.com/

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
"Look at all the Indians!"
                  Custer