From:
Tom Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 05:45:22 -0900
several chandeliers with wonderful tiny
> prisms that need cleaning. Our director has seen glass wax for sale that
is
> supposed to flake off. We are concerned that it might have nasty effects
on
> the metal and/or the wiring. Has anyone else had good and/or bad
> experiences with these products?

Gillian:
I've not had experience with glass-wax for many years, however I do remember
the residue it leaves as not being particularly tenacious.  Having worked
with glass a good deal, I would recommend against it because glass wax would
leave a white residue in the crevices and pockets of the glass.  This should
have no lasting affect other than appearance.

The best method is to use a good commercially available glass cleaner, or a
mild solution of ammonia and water, with a soft, lint free cloth such as a
new cotton diaper.  This is alot of work, less so than using glass wax, to
be sure.  Dust the chandelier often to keep it clean.

If you want to learn more about glass, the Corning Museum has an excellent
site.