From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:00:20 -0800
You know, a lot of this conversation about time off
would be obviated if more (US) folks understood the
mandates for the Family Medical Leave Act (which
happens to be a link in the Topics section of my
employment web site
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414 ).

According to HotJobs.com, questions about benefits
should be made of the headhunter and/or HR person with
whom you interview before meeting with the hiring
supervisor.

However, if you are interviewing for a position that
doesn't include a heahunter or a visit with the
museum's HR rep, then it is absolutely NOT
inappropriate (and remember that anything containing
appropriate is usually very subjective and subject to
the whim of the person rendering judgment) to ask
questions about benefits.

Benefits are not gifts.  They are a form of
compensation.  Some are required by law; others are
the inducement an employer provides to acquire/retain
qualified personnel.  Sometimes jobs are not
taken/endured for the benefit of the job, it's for the
benefits themselves.

I think the main thought people have overlooked in
this thread is that interviewing is a two-fold
courting process.  Both parties should be honest.
More lawsuits are founded upon misrepresentations made
in the interview process.

I also think it's long past time that some of the
hiring supervisors in all fields left their personal
and judgmental prejudices at home when it came time to
select an employee.  Married, straight, gay, single,
kids, skin color, height, weight, age, needing
benefits, inability to censure, etc., are all
ludicrous reasons to deny someone a job.

Is the person qualified for the position?  Yes/no.

Is the person the BEST qualified for this position
among the pool of available candidates?  Yes/no.

Is this person a good fit for this work group given
the other personalities with whom (s)he would have to
interact?  Yes/no.

Can we afford this person?  Yes/no.

Can we afford NOT to hire this person?  Yes/no.

Maybe it would behoove some of you on both sides of
the interviewing table to become familar with NELA:

http://www.nela.org/home_ns.htm

NELA is the National Employment Lawyers' Association.

Now, as long as I'm being admittedly judgmental, this
is ONE of the problems you often find when you promote
the best TECHNICAL person to supervisor.  More often
than not, the person is great in their technical
speciality, but often lacking in people skills, and
usually very lacking in their knowledge of employment
law.  Being a supervisor is often a very thankless job
that offers very little additional recompense.  But it
can also get you and your organization into a lot of
hot water, and you usually don't say I'll take the job
and get an instant knowledge of what a supervisor
needs to know.

Further, you may wish to read the synopsis I put
together as a result of an EEOC decision on supervisor
liability/harassment.  If some of the judgmental
opinions are evident of what is ongoing, there is a
great need for some of you to read and get a better
understanding of what you are exposing yourself to.

http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414/law/liability1.html

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try: