From:
"Jane Rupp, Marion County Historical Society" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:25:03 -0400
Jessica,

Here at the Marion County Historical Society, we have had a number of
college students working for class credit.  In fact, I was one of them when
I was in graduate school!

We work with Ohio State's Marion Campus as appropriate.  We had a senior
English major here for a quarter as part of a "Writing in the Workplace"
course.  He wrote historical columns for our newsletter and the internet,
researched and wrote exhibit labels, press releases, etc.

I have also worked with college interns - usually history majors.  I believe
the key to a successful internship is to define specific projects that will
be the intern's "own."  Our current intern has researched and set up,
including finding artifacts for loan, an exhibition on the 1950s.  She also
researched another exhibition that museum staff will produce and helped with
occasional tasks that arose.

I would recommend that you work with the student to find a mutually
agreeable project, based on the student's abilities and interests and your
needs.  Give as much guidance as necessary, but also allow the student to
make the project his/her own.  By doing this, the student will be able to
return to the classroom with a "product."

Jane Rupp, Director
Marion County Historical Society
169 E. Church St.
Marion, OH 43302