From:
Lynne Ranieri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 12:55:22 -0500
   I was very impressed with the Texas Historical Commission's concern for
historic cemeteries and markers, but was (pardon the pun) *gravely*
concerned about the recommended techniques for cleaning the gravestones,
such as:

    - the suggestion to use "a wooden scraper to gently remove the
biological growth.   This process may need to be repeated several times.",
or
    - "wash the stone using natural bristled, wooden handled brushes of
various sizes."

From what I have read, anything whatsoever that touches the surface of the
stone is very likely to abrade and further deteriorate it.  Before risking
further damage by any method that requires touching the surface of the stone
at all, I would strongly suggest exploring non-invasive alternatives.  I
will try to help find some conservative suggestions for their care, as our
small historical society is exploring similar issues for a very early
cemetery in our town.
Lynne