From:
Lin Nelson-Mayson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:07:52 -0500
Policies to deal with local artists and the exhibition of their work start
with your institution's relationship to this community and the relationship
of the slae of their work to your institution.

Do you do a lot of short run exhibitions? Do you need to involve the
artists in the installation/strike of their work? (if the work is
complicated, I'd suggest involving them. If not, you have more control to
do it yourself.) Do you have a gallery devoted to changing exhibitions of
local artists' work? Your policies for that space may be different than
your other galleries.I would suggest you use standard loan forms that
include mention of storage fees charged if the works are not picked up by a
specific date. If works are delivered to and picked up from your site, your
insurance could start whem when it reached the museum. Also, unless the
museum relies on sales from these exhibition, I would suggest you refer
potential buyers to the artists or artists' agents, so that the museum is
not seen as a commerical gallery.