From:
Tony Poderis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 07:57:02 -0400
Valerie wrote:

> I am new to the grantwriting world and am preparing my first grants for a small historical society. Right now, they are paying me by the hour to do grantwriting plus a whole lot of other stuff.
>
> In a meeting today however, the treasurer of the board butts in and says that after this temporary pay-by-the-hour period is over, from then on I will be working on a percentage basis based on whatever grants I win for them.
>
> Now, I thought that this was considered somewhat unethical by grantwriters today. Is that true, or did I make that up? I thought I had heard somewhere that professional grantwriters don't work on commission, so to speak. When I said as much to the treasurer, he said, "Well, why not? Makes 'em work harder!"

Hello Valerie - As diplomatically as possible, you can inform the Treasurer that, should the organization enter into an arrangement whereby you will be paid (percentage, bonus, commission, or flat fee), but only when a grant is awarded, the organization will find few, if any, foundations, corporations, or
individuals which will want to make a contribution to the organization if a portion of the gift is to be paid out as a fee.  You can further state with some degree of certainty that in many instances funding sources will not give at all to a campaign that pays grantwriters in such arrangements.

The Treasurer must surely know that the total amount requested in a grant application for a special program, project, or service is usually apportioned into line-item categories in the budget.  This is almost always required by potential funding sources.

The organization will not get very far with a funder when the grant request budget has a line item which indicates that you will receive a portion of the money contributed.  Or, if the organization really needs the full amount to fund the project, the budget will not pass muster either with the funder when
the request is increased by the grantwriting fee.  And it would be a serious mistake if the Treasurer concealed the fee in any way in another budget category.

Regarding your good work in the first place, it is unfair when you put in honest effort, skill, and time to do a good grantwriting job, and then you are denied any compensation when the grant is turned-down by a prospect due to circumstances completely out of your control.  Organization officials could very
well make a bad presentation or make one at the wrong time, and everyone loses --- especially you.  Why would you want to take such a chance?

And what if you are forced to go ahead with this arrangement and a particular grant is awarded and it is to be paid over a multi-year basis?  Would you not want to receive your full payment at the time of the total money award pledge?  Would this same Treasurer be willing to advance the full payment at that
time to you?  If he does not pay you in full then, will you be satisfied to wait for each year’s payment of the grant --- out to three, and to even further years --- to be paid your fee?

And what if a grant award was contingent on the organization obtaining matching funds?  How long must you wait until you are paid?  Will that same Treasurer be willing to pay you up-front at the time of grant award challenge?

And so it goes.  Put Barber is right to let you know about the ethics-driven aspect of such deals so you can reinforce your own similar and good stand against the scheme.  As well, I hope some of the practical and real consequences which can befall you and the organization will allow the Treasurer to change
his position.

--
Tony Poderis