From:
"Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:18:36 -0600
Audra, David, et al
I too have done research at University of Texas tho' not in the past 5
years.

When I was a student in 1965, I could go into the stacks of the Tower at
U. T. and wander anywhere I wanted. I also left books at my assigned
carrel (sp?) and spent hours both working and enjoying wandering and
discovering. All I needed was an o.k. by my grad prof.

The next year, Charles Whitman went up that Tower and spent a summer's
day shooting at people, wounding many and killing I forget how many
before killing himself.

Some time in the 1970s UT discover individual including one from my
community had decided some of the rare books in the Eugene C. Barker
(History) Collection would be better off in their possession than at UT.

When I next visited those same history books as before, the Barker
Collection was at a new location next to the LBJ Library, and you check
your purse and briefcase at the lockers before entering. I think I recall
before leaving you went through metal detectors before returning to the
lockers, and as Audra said the library furnished paper and pencils. You
could have your own money (no purse, quarters in your pocket) for the
copiers.

At the Archives for the State of Texas, they too required you to register
the first time, and show your research card every subquent visit. They
have closed stacks and will allow only so many items out to you at a time
with no tracing of maps, etc.

Maybe they became more stringent earlier than 9/11 because of their
incidents in the 60s and 70s. I have never complained unlike Audra's
librarian friend because I remember the kindly book thief who also was a
proud youth delegate to Nixon's convention in Miami (?) in 1968 and is
still active in GOP circles (at least among those who do not remember the
rest of the story.)

We have some few archival materials at our museum....so few that I drop
what ever else I am doing and work with the visitor when they wish to
examine some of our items. I also furnish the white gloves.

Mary Kirby
Historic Upshur Museum
Gilmer, TX
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!