From:
William Maurer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:18:44 -0500
I have had three historic sites. Two of them with ghost experiences of
sorts.

The first was a tavern (c. 1750) run by a widowed lady for years along the
shore of the Hudson.  This lady was said to be seen in the window
overlooking the garden.  A young intern and I were working in the said
garden and she said that she felt like someone threw cold water on her.
Maybe the old lady was jealous.  A number of people (two or three) mentioned
that they felt a presence in the house. Hey, a tavern probably had its share
of fights and deaths.

The second was at my present site.  An Hispanic woman excitedly came down
the road. I had two ladies on tour - one was a "Sister" who was picking up
brochures for an Elder host she was running north of us. The woman - in
Spanish - translated by the Nun - said that she saw the spirits of two
children over the creek.  Turns out we lost a child in the creek about 1879
and the next family lost a baby in a car accident about 1915.  There were
the two.  The woman then ran back up to the main road without any further
explanation.

My theory is to make the site as good if not better than when the haunts
were there.  Either I am too jaded to experience the spirits or they feel
that I am kindred in taking care of their homes. So my advice is to make the
historic site as true to the way it was and hope for friendly ghosts who
appreciate your hard work.

Bill Maurer
Director
Gomez Mill House