From:
Maggie Harrer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:09:22 EST
PLEASE EXCUSE CROSS POSTING
February 15, 2002

Dear Friends of the Water Works,

The second hearing on Bergen County's request to demolish the Historic
Hackensack Water Co. site on Van Buskirk Island in Oradell will be Thursday,
Feb. 21, 10 AM, at the Kelsey Townhouses, Room 104, Thomas Edison College,
101 W. State Street, Trenton, NJ.

Even though the public portion of the hearing has been closed and you will
not be able to speak, it is important to show support for saving the site,
and that the public is still interested and committed to the preservation of
the State and National Historic Site.   The National Landmark nomination is
moving through the pipeline, and, hopefully, will be heard this spring.

Therefore, I am including directions to the site.  We can car pool and we
encourage our members and supporters to try and come.  It will not be an
all-day hearing as the previous one was.  The hearing  will essentially
consist of questioning of the applicant - Bergen County, and then a ruling by
the NJ Historic Sites Council on the County's request to Demolish.

For those of you in the sounthern part of the state, this is an opportunity
to hear first hand the issues and to stand up for preserving the site.

Please RSVP if you will be able to attend on the 21st.
All the best,
Maggie Harrer
President of the Board
The Water Works Conservancy, Inc.
Phone: 201-967-0133
Fax: 201-967-7517

Directions to Feb. 21 Hearing -  Thomas Edison College, 101 W, State St,
Kelsey Townhouses, Room 104, Trenton, NJ
        10 AM (609) 633-1400
Directions:
Take New Jersey Turnpike South to exit 7a, exiting the Turnpike to take
Interstate 195 West.
Follow 195 West about 8 miles to Route 129 North. The sign for Route 129
North says Trenton.
Exit Route 129 at second traffic light, making a left onto Cass Street
Follow Cass Street until it dead-ends at Route 29.  Make a right onto Route
29 and go north about one mile and exit at Callhoun Street
Turn Right at the first traffic light onto West State Street.
Thomas Edison  State College’s Kelsey Building and Townhouses are located at
101 w. State Street.
Parking is available at metered parking meters on street and at a parking lot
on Front Street near Willor (Barrack Street). Other parking garages are in
the vicinity, but give yourself extra time to find a parking space.