From:
erin gerrity <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:31:31 -0400
I work at the Portland Museum in Louisville, Kentucky and we are
currently working with Metro Parks to create a new park on the old
Portland Wharf by the Ohio River. One of the first steps is digging up
the original street grid to help us interpret the history of the area
and create an educational park based on what we find and what we already
know about its 19th century river town history. While we don't actually
dig up the artifacts (the Kentucky Archaeological Survey is in charge of
that), we do integrate archaeology with our collection and educational
programming. The Kentucky Archaeological Survey works very consistently
with Riverside, the Farnsely-Moreman Landing, also in Kentucky on the
Ohio River. They have a great research and education program based on
the archaeology of the site. I'm sure there are a lot of museums that
engage in collaborative efforts such as these. Hands on learning seems
to be really popular right now, so hopefully we'll see more and more of
this. Makes my job more exciting! That's my unprofessional feedback . . .

Erin Gerrity
Portland Museum
Louisville, KY