From:
Harry Klinkhamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:29:18 -0600
If handled properly, this could be a fine educational tool.  However, it may
be best to have limited areas and set times where this opportunity would be
available to the public.  If staff is "on display" doing their jobs, it can
be a distraction to their work.  Perhaps a special time/place/tour where
visitors can view what takes place behind the scenes is best.  This way
staff knows there is a set time where they act in the duel role of
curator/registrar/whatever and educator.  I'm sure many staff members would
love to share their joy of the profession with the public and give them a
better appreciation of what it takes to run a museum or put on an exhibit
together.  However, if you just have staff "on display" then you can easily
start feeling like part of the collection.

Back in my banking days, there were often tours of our facilities for big
name customers to see what happens with their money.  We got the "be on our
best behavior" speech about five minutes ahead of time and then went on
display.  At one point I created a sign: "Please do not feed the bank
employees, we have then on a special scientific diet."  Management failed to
see the humor (or the message) in that.

Bottom line, make this opportunity a special one for visitors through select
tours, times, etc.  This way it increases the value of going behind the
scenes, and it gives staff a chance to be a part-time educator, but still be
able to do their jobs without distractions.

Okay, back to pacing in my cell.

Harry

Harry Klinkhamer
Program Officer