From:
Brian Gomez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 13:17:26 -0500
Just to clarify how the Archive section of PastPerfect works.  It does not
require that you create a separate record for each piece of paper or
document.  You may want to do that for some special documents, but generally
you would catalog a group of items as one record and then use the Container
List option to describe the individual items.  When creating an Archive
record with PastPerfect, remember to select the appropriate “Level of
Description” for that catalog record, be it, item, folder, series,
collection, etc.

For example, if you are cataloging a collection of corporate records you
would create one catalog record for that collection giving it a description
on the “Scope and Content/Abstract” field such as:

“Corporate records of the Happy Toy Company.  Including minutes of board
meetings, financial statements, and toy catalogs from 1955-1975.”

Then use the Container List button.  This gives you a screen where you can
describe the various series or sub-series in the collection.  You do not
have to assign a separate catalog number to each item or series when using
the container list option.

PastPerfect also allows you to do multi-level linking.  This means that
catalog records may be linked together in a hierarchical system of
relationships.  For more details on this please look at the PastPerfect Demo
or download the tutorial from the website on archival cataloging.

Brian L. Gomez
Operations Manager
Pastime Software Company
610 326 2650