From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:08:04 -0700
Excuse this long posting (but now that I have taken all my time to quickly
write this I have little time to  revamp it).  So please, I ask for your
pardon on mistakes, but felt the subject was important.  If you don't want
to read it --- simply delete it now.

With all the hoopla about the Olympics -- and living in Salt Lake City -- it
is interesting to see the outcome of all the planning and organization of
events and parties centered around the games that are trying to draw in the
crowds.  Museum planners can learn something from how the Olympics events
were organized.

I have been involved in special event organizations and planning long before
I ever became involved in my museum career.  Putting on events and working
with people in developing an event is my heart and passion (well besides my
wife and our dog McMuff).  It is great to see an event that you planned,
developed and worked so hard at take shape and become a reality.

An event is like a living organism, and when it is planned well and put
together with experienced people, it begins to take on a form of its own.  A
successful event becomes active and grows, while an event that is not
planned well often dies before it is over.   The key element of a successful
event is planning.  Planning is the creative process that makes the event
live or die and the primary action of any event, exhibit or venue.

While living in Portland, I organized two walking organizations that put on
events throughout Oregon and southwest Washington State.

At one event I put together, it was a great experience to see the event
growing and working.  To put on a major walk in a city is an exciting
experience, especially when you actually see that your course you planned
working, and hundreds of people walking -- it's like magic!  Your event as
mentioned comes to life.  An event is obviously successful when you see
people completing your event (or seeing your exhibit) and come to you to
say:

"This was the greatest walk (exhibit) I have been on (or seen).  We loved
your course (or exhibit) and event" or "you guys did an outstanding job" and
"when is your next event (exhibit)?"   And sometimes you have a participant
or visitors say: "how do we join your organization?  Your organization is a
great group of people."

I learned through experience that planning a small or large event is the
same thing.  Although, the funding, the amount of volunteers needed and the
time element fluctuates, it takes the same organizational skills, the same
team effort, the same key elements and the same planning to put on a
successful event.

However, I also learned that it is important in the planning process to
watch the rest of the community.  Remember that part of the planning is to
take a look at what else is going on in your city or nearby communities.
Will your event conflict with another event taking place the same day?

Let me give you an example of planning.  Right here in Salt Lake City they
are putting on various parties and activities planned in harmony with the
Olympics.  Various government and private groups wanted to jump on the
bandwagon to grab a portion of the audience attending the games.  It is an
obvious money-maker ~~ so some thought (or was it that they did not plan as
well as others).

In an article appearing in the Salt Lake Tribune (February 13, 2002, O17))
entitled "A Bud and a Dud: Gallivan Plaza party's jumping; Washington Square
nearly deserted."  It is a story about two Olympic related parties both in
Salt Lake City, and both trying to grab an audience from the people coming
to Salt Lake to see the Olympics.

Mayor Rocky Anderson of Salt Lake wondered: "Why are people lined up to get
into Gallivan Plaza [Note: where Bud World is taking place ~~ maybe its the
beer?] and not here" at Washington Square?  In the beginning, the Mayor
wanted an event "more accessible and relaxed than the ticketed, alcohol-free
Medals Plaza."   Salt Lake Organizing Committee President Mitt Romney,
however, "fretted about dispersing downtown spectators.  Turns out his
concern(s) may have been well-founded."

Anderson's event did pull a huge crowd when folks gathered "to catch a peek
at the Olympic flame.  Another crowd gathered there for a Saturday Beach
Boy's concert.  But since then, the place has been largely deserted---except
for the occasional school field trip and . . . parents waiting to watch
their children sing on the Main Stage."

In addition, not only was the Mayor's event competing against Gallivan
Center in downtown Salt Lake, but also with the Mountain Dew's Ice Village,
the WB's WinterFest, the Coca-Cola pin-trading center and even SLOC's Medals
Plaza, not to mention all the official Olympic sport venues taking place
throughout the Valley.

It is also interesting to add that before the games were started, Olympic
organizers were telling citizens that downtown would be packed,
transportation would be terrible.  In a sense, many people felt they were
saying to stay home or if you do come downtown take the TRACKS (rail line).
Now, after the Olympics have started.the worst nightmares of the SLOC
organizers did not take form.  Salt Lake businesses are screaming for
citizens (not just the visitors) to come downtown and visit their
establishments.  They planned for the event, but the local people are not
coming in and it is hurting businesses.

Even the streets and TRACKS (rain line) they discovered had only a few of
their "park and ride" lots full.  SLOC did a wonderful job of planning.  And
now the citizens (as myself) are wanting to head downtown and participate in
all the parties and events taking place for the Olympics.  At many of the
local events, the local people stay home.and they shouldn't.   This is a
once in a life time thing!

Event organizers in the planning process should not try to complete with
other events, unless you can draw in the visitors.  Museum events are
sometimes like this.  We think we plan events, however, we really do not
plan the events, i.e., take that look I mentioned at what else is going on
in the local area as well as surrounding communities.  For example, when I
was the director of a small museum in southeast Washington, we had an event
every year on the same weekend.  It just happened to be the same weekend
every year that the popular Highland games were held in a community about 20
miles away.  In such a small, rural setting, I realized that our event could
not complete with the other event and our turnout would be low.  And our
visitation would remain at that low as long as we were on the same weekend
as the other event [but the higher powers that be over-ruled me.  Where's
the tissue this is so sad?].

In another example, I planned a weekend event on Thanksgiving weekend up in
Ariel, Washington, near the famous bar where they celebrate D.B. Cooper's
(the guy who skyjacked the airlines) Day.  Some of my officers and members
felt that we would not pull in many participants, since it was Thanksgiving
and people wanted to be home with the family.  They also feared the "rain or
snow" during that time of year and worried we would get rained out.  This
was the Pacific Northwest.and it rains there!  Of course, I always did my
famous "un-rain dance."  [NOTE: In 11 events throughout the year in Oregon,
it only rained once at one of our events.  Maybe, I should get in that
"un-rain dance" business].

FUN.  This brings up another point ~~ make your events fun.  Don't be afraid
to use your sense of humor or creativity to add some spice to your event.
It is a touch your participants will love.  Often (and no offense to anyone)
but people in our field often take things to serious at times.  Remember
that museums are more than education but also entertainment.  The public
likes to have fun -- so provide some once in a while.

NETWORK:  However, they did not realize that because it was Thanksgiving,
people needed to get out for the weekend and walk off that turkey and
pumpkin pie.  Volkswalking was new in the Pacific Northwest, and we pulled
in over 950 walkers!  That was good for those early days.  People also came
to participate in D.B. Cooper's Day, see the skydivers, so we networked with
another local attraction right near our start point.  D. B. Cooper, in a
sense is folklore in those parts of the woods, and was something unique for
people to do.  People often want to take in other things after they finish
your event.  But, again, if there is to much or to far away, it will pull
away participants from your event.

Give them something!  Visitors and participants love keepsakes and something
to remember.  For the participants we had a poem attached to a small plastic
bag filled with real shredded money, which we gave out to each walker after
they finished the course:  "Although you didn't find D. B. Cooper's money,
we wanted to give you something to remember your walk."  People loved it!

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.  Just as Mayor Anderson mentioned above should
have realized in his planning with all the other activities taking places,
it was also his "location" that made his event less visited.  It is away
from the main action of the other Olympic parties.  People don't want to
walk 4 blocks (and Salt Lake blocks are bigger than the norm) and it has
been cold.  So, location is another important part of planning.

The closer activities to the Olympic venues and Awards Plaza can "network"
because of their closer location to the main body of people.  As with
Gallivan Plaza, they were bolstered "by the Opening Ceremony and a
late-night concert by pop-rockers Smash Mouth, the Gallivan Plaza site drew
an estimated 15,000 to 18,000 people throughout Friday.  Crowns have since
leveled off to 10,000-12,000 a day."

Bruce Hudson, director of international sports marketing for Anheuser-Busch
stated:  "Our biggest concern has been getting people through security, but
they've been very patient.  And once they get inside, they seem to have a
pretty good time."

Location is extremely important.  As with our event in Ariel, Washington, I
attached our event to the impact of D.B. Cooper.  I am a somewhat artist,
and designed our pewter medal award with D. B. Cooper jumping out of the
airplane.  The medals sold like hotcakes!  It is something they have to
remember the location and event.

Sponsors and Financial Support: So, another trick museums can learn that to
have a successful event you need to obtain financial support in the form of
sponsors.  Lot's of time sponsors will throw in "freebies," or awards,
products, food or handouts that participants love.

Sponsors are a great addition to have behind and at your events, and often
provide "freebies" people love to take home with them.  Museums should take
advantage of this more often, and sometimes your new supporters -- your
event sponsors, can cover much of the main cost of the event.

VOLUNTEERS.  We must not forget the volunteers -- the backbone of any
successful event.  Take care of your volunteers.  Take the extra step in
making them feel at home.  Reward them.

Public Relations and Marketing.  Sell, sell and sell your event.  Get the
word out.  Tie this into your networking, and work as a team with other
venues of your event to pull in new audiences.  Send press releases out to
not only the news, but also the radio and television stations.  Don't forget
the small community newspapers and to post flyers (they work!).   And have a
radio station broadcast at your event(s) -- it brings people to your
location.

Brainstorming.  After any event it is time to bring in all the key-players
and brainstorm on what went right and wrong at the event.  From your
mistakes you grow; change is good and from what you change it will draw more
people at your next event and/or exhibit.

Let's look back to Mayor Anderson and the two activities vying for the same
Olympic crowd.  In the Mayor's planning states they "estimated before the
Games that up to 35,000 people a day would wander into the city's property"
at Washington Square.  It cost over $2.5 million to transform the Square,
while Gallivan Plaza was more inventive in their planning and would lease
out their Plaza to Anheuser-Busch for $155,000.

In addition, in the planning process the people at Gallivan Plaza stayed in
focus with the center topic -- the Olympics.  Not only did they offer up
pop, rock and jazz acts nightly, they included big screens for following the
Olympic events, as well as "ice skating (at their rink), pin trading, bubble
hockey, noontime animal shows, night time lightshows and the Budweiser
Clydesdales."

It is obvious that the planners of Washington Square were not in-tune' with
the amount of visitors or had the attractions as the Plaza to pull in the
people.

In THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO SPECIAL EVENT MANAGEMENT, by Dwight W. Catherwood &
Richard L. Van Kirk (New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1992, 15), it points out
the six keys to a successful event:

1. Built-in community interest
2. Few competing events or activities
3. Existing venues
4. Solid media coverage
5. Abundance of potential sponsors
6. Adequate pre-promotions

In conclusion, again if your event is big or small you need to PLAN your
events out with other activities taking place in your community or your
event or exhibit may fail.

John Martinson
West Jordan, UT

p.s.  The Olympics have been AWESOME!  It is great to see all the countries
coming together and the sportsmanship of the winners (and I don't think any
of the participants can be classified losers).  An outstanding effort by
all!

Now, how do I get one of those "Roots" USA hats!!!?