From:
Exhibitions Department <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 18:15:40 -0500
I once applied for a curatorial position at a large, prestigious and
relatively wealthy and well-staffed museum.  I got a response card within a
week from Human Resources there saying that I would be contacted within two
weeks regarding my status (positive or negative).  After no response at all
for EIGHT MONTHS, I saw the position re-listed. I assumed they didn't want
me, but sent an updated resume with a nice note reminding them that I had
previously applied but had heard nothing, and did they need further
information about me.  I heard nothing for about a month (not even an
acknowledgement of the 2nd resume), then followed up with a note to the
museum director (a passing acquaintance) alerting him to the fact that I had
applied, and even applied twice.  I immediately got a pleasant, detailed
response from him as to why I was not under consideration and apologizing
for the lack of communication.

I appreciated knowing my status at last, and understood the reasons why I
wasn't hired (it wasn't related to having to move), but I didn't like
bothering the director and seeming pesky.  I felt that I could never apply
to that place again.  I never found out whether my original app was weeded
out at the Human Resources level or if he had seen it, but someday would
like to know.

Julia Moore
Indianapolis Art Center