From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:39:28 -0500
I used filemaker set up with many views linking to one main object record
that showed all the data. We had an image page with detail shots, a sort of
slide show view with many small pictures and accession numbers, etc. Each
of these  used fields already entered on the main page. We also had a page
that had the fields of the object record more compact and in black and
white for quicker and cheaper printing for everyday use.

The biggest piece of advice I would give would be to keep a link to images
in the database and store the actual images in separate folders. This will
save alot of memory and should speed up the database. Ours got really slow
on the image views because we had not done this.

Elizabeth Walton

At 10:52 AM 2/4/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi listers!
>
>I am in the process of setting up FileMaker Pro for use as our collections
management database (our collections consist primarily of historical
artifacts, with a handful of photos and archival materials).  I know that
many of you on the list also use FileMaker for this purpose.  I am looking
for some guidance...  For example, did you set up the accession record and
catalog record separately for each artifact, or do you include ALL of the
info for an artifact in a single record?  Did you find any particular
method for setting up the database to be easier, or more difficult?  Any
bugs I should be aware of?

>Many thanks in advance for your help.
>
>Lori Tomlinson
>Executive Director