From:
Lisa Friedlander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 13:00:12 -0600
When we are developing new exhibits we look at the state's education
standards and look for ways to tie into them, so the exhibits can be an
inviting way to satisfy standards and requirements.

I worked on a large interpretive center for USFWS in Iowa. Dave Aplin, the
Outdoor Rec Planner at the Refuge, put together a committee of 7 to 10
teachers from local schools. We developed a curriculum (Project Bluestem)
that tied into the state criteria and subjects studied in different grades
at several local districts, and the exhibits were also developed with this
in mind. We tried to develop exhibits and programs that covered art,
science and social studies to help teachers justify taking students on an
all-day field trip. The group's reasoning was, if multiple subjects were
covered during the trip, the other teachers were less likely to be annoyed
that students were skipping social studies class in favor of science class.

Lisa Friedlander

> In an attempt to generate a discussion... I have a
>museumolgy topic which I don't think has been posted
>recenlty (if I missed it-please forgive me- I have
>been subsribing to the list since'99(I admit mostly a
>silent member- I am now trying to get more involved).
>  I am interested in how state standards imposed in
>many of our public school curriclums has effected our
>offerings. I personally have had experinces in
>Virginia where teachers have used our departments less
>because they feel the presssure to stay in the class
>room and cover material specfically mandated by the
>standards. Yet, in other areas it seems to have helped
>musuems because teachers can show their adminstatros
>what standard the feild trip is meeting.
>  Any interest or thoughts...
>Jamilyn Cole

>Great stuff seeking new owners in Yahoo! Auctions!
>http://auctions.yahoo.com

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
>read "help" (without the quotes).

>[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read
>"Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Lisa Friedlander