From:
P Boylan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 01:37:25 +0000
In view of the recent often heated exchanges, here is the relevant extract
from the description given by Museum-L's founder and List Manager, John
Chadwick:

>2. PURPOSE.
>
>Museum-L is a general purpose, cross-disciplinary electronic discussion
>list for museum professionals, students, and all others interested in
>museum related issues.  All museum related topics are acceptable for
>posting and discussion at this time.  Membership in Museum-L is open to
>anyone with e-mail service.

Everyone on Museum-L was sent this automatically on joining, as part of
the "Frequently Asked Questions" (FAQ) file, and is asked to file this for
future reference (e.g. when wanting to leave or temporarily suspend
membership of Museum-L.  Also, it is circulated to the whole of the List
at intervals by John.

Comparing the actual traffic with the List purpose (as set out above) I
have to say that I can think of few if any postings over the past few
months (whether from Indigo Nights or anyone else) which have been outside
these criteria.

My own complaint is about the significant number of members who apparently
fail to check their system regular for viruses. As a result they are
oblivious of the fact that just about every time they connect to the
Internet worm viruses such as Badtrans, Sircam or "Snow White at 18" on
their system start busily transmitting themselves automatically to any
address they find in addressbooks or received e-mails on file as fake
e-mails carrying the virus as attachments, without the PC owner/user
knowing anything about it.  I am currently receiving around 40 a week of
these from faked e-mail addresses,  many of which look suspiciously like
slightly disguised versions of Museum-L member addresses.

Patrick Boylan