From:
"Feltus, Pamela" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 14:56:44 -0500
It seems like, as Deb says, every 6 months we get the "how do I get a job"
and every 6 months, the old-timers whine about it. And we brainstorm what to
do and nothing seems to work. So we delete and whine.

The reason for all this is that this list serve has become the major forum
for museum people (or is there a bigger one?). If you want to reach us, this
is an extremely easy way to do, to advertise job openings or to ask for a
job. I'm personally happy that not more vendor types use the list for Spam.
But this is a price of the list serve's success and a reflection of the
overall quality of the list. And for many of us who sit in a museum with
only one or two peers, it's a welcome place for comradery (sp?) and support.

So since certain members are invoking science into our ghost story telling
(and I stayed quiet since my interpretation of Occam's Razor as taught to me
by "Contact" might not be good enough to support superstition), let's get
some facts into this debate:

How successful are the "I need a job" posts? Who has found a job or a staff
person through one of these? If most of the people who post those get jobs,
well, here's my posting. Just kidding- but, if these posts result regularly
in gainful employment and happiness for employer and employee, then as
annoying as they are, they are useful and we should just live through it. If
they aren't successful, then perhaps that should be part of the FAQ that not
only will you annoy alot of people, but you won't get a job.

I would think we could get a good idea based on the yeas (yeah, I know,
increased list traffic, but it might be worth it for a few days to but the
matter to rest) to the success of the posts.

I can say, I have responded twice to "I need a job" posts asking for resumes
and both times the people did not get to the interview stage.

Pamela Feltus
Curator
National Museum of American Jewish Military History
1811 R Street NW, Washington DC 20009
202-265-6280 x201

www.nmajmh.org