From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 18:58:56 +1300
Hi Indigo!

Well firstly I guess I should set the record straight for list members -
there ain't no koalas in New Zealand and despite, what our 'Ozzie' cousins
often claim, we are not a state of Australia!

That said, despite the thousands of miles of sea between us, the smoke from
the fires in New South Wales has produced a substantial haze in the city
where I live - Auckland.  In addition, many of our firefighters and
helicopter support crews have flown then Tasman to assist.  Our television
news shows terrible pictures of personal property loss and of course the
effect that these conflagrations have upon wildlife.

The Sydney Morning Herald features two stories on its title page today
http://www.smh.com.au

* Residents return home  (and surprisingly, in the context of the above! )
*  Kangaroo kill quota leaps to seven million

best wishes
Roger