From:
Lana Newhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:13:34 -0500
I highly recommend a chest freezer, at least 14.8 cubic feet in size, for your conservation lab.  We use ours all of the time for incoming objects (for feezing bugs such as powder post beetles and carpet beetles).  We purchased ours from Lowe's for a mere $150.00, and they delivered it.  Also, a vent hood for removing fumes produced by solvents is a must.

For bulk storage in your vault, don't use more than 2 shelves.  We have a 3d top shelf (about 12 feet above the floor) and it is very dangerous to get up on.

Lana Newhart-Kellen
Registrar
Conner Prairie Museum

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/14/02 01:33PM >>>
I am the Curator of Collections for the Biedenharn Museum and Gardens in
Monroe, LA.  We are finalizing plans for our new museum.  As part of this
process I need to determine what equipment will be needed in an exhibit
preparation room, collections storage, and conservation lab.  I would like
to know what types of equipment (shelving included) other museums have in
similar areas or feel should be included in such areas.