From:
Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:44:38 -0600
I am going to get slammed for this first comment, but oh well.  Here goes:
What I don't get, is why, when asked, the person simply didn't say "yes, of
course I voted for the president!" and get the appointment?  Then do what he
or she felt is right.  By asking the question, the person on the other end
of the phone was giving the potential appointee the opportunity to play the
game.

David is correct, it partisanship.  But that isn't the problem.  The problem
is being smart enough to use the system to accomplish your goals.  It is one
thing to stand on the "high ground" and another to get "down and dirty" and
actually accomplish things.  Everybody hated Clinton, but that is in effect,
what he did.  He just wasn't as good as hiding it as the Republicans.

Now as for Indigo's comment about this not being merely governing Texas, or
the Republicans, as a Texan, I take particular offense to that.  Indigo
dear, I lived for 8 years in Houston, one of the most culturally diverse
cities in the US.  My immediate neighbors were Asian-American,
German-American, Indian / Pakistani, African-American, and Hispanic.
Personally, I am Buddhist.  There were two Islamic Temples within 5 miles of
my house.  I lived in a middle-class suburban neighborhood.  At work, I
heard Farsi, Korean, and Spanish spoken on a daily basis.  (This has been
one of the shocks of moving to the Midwest.  It is overwhelmingly
white-bread.)

Despite popular myths, the majority of people in Texas do not own horses,
guns or Stetson hats.  I own none of the above and never have, even though I
am native and spent 32 years in the state.

Lori Allen,
Graduate Student, UMSL

"Well behaved women rarely make history."
                                  - Anonymous