From:
Bill Quinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:09:10 -0500
As a long time Museum Ed. professional, my education refelcted the needs
that I had at the moment. Initially intending to go into curatorial, I
received a B.A. Art hist, and Architectural Hist, a M.A. in History of Fine
Art combined with Museum Studies (focusing on Museum Education). Which left
me a fairly strong academic background in Education within the cultural
institution. I pretty much hit the floor running with the theory and the
practical of informal learning, object based, discovery based, teachable
moments...etc..

Currently I am taking a B.ed, and am finding that while Constructivism is
the be all, end all these days, they allude to but gloss over informal
learning opportunities.

My impression is that Education programs do not lend themselves to show how
learning may occur outside of the 4 walls of the classroom. They are too
often constrained by time, resources, and the experiences of the teaching
staff.

I consider myself lucky that a course was developed solely for the museum
professional, because it is not being delivered in the Faculty's of
Education.

My two cents worth!

Bill Quinney
Cultural Properties
Museum Education Consulting

For a great Museum School program (whats that?) Check out
http://www.chevronopenminds.ca/

It's what every Museum Educator dreams of!