Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
John Nolan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:48:35 -0500
inline
Dear Fran:

The BJU Museum & Gallery uses the following wording:

Why we ask you not to touch

Since we experience the world through our senses, touching may seem
as natural as looking, but it has unfortunate consequences for art
works.

No matter how clean your hands may be, human skin carries natural
oils
and acids that are harmful to works of art. Even a single touch can
initiate permanent and irreversible chemical reactions that will
darken paint,
stain wood and marble, damage fabric and leather, and corrode metal.

The works of art in the collection are unique, fragile, and
irreplaceable.
To help us preserve this collection for future generations, please do
not
touch or lean against the paintings, walls, or exhibits. Thank you
for
your cooperation.

I believe we adapted this from an answer to a posting asking this
very same question on this list a few years ago.

John Nolan
Curator