From:
Carucci James GS-11 30CES/CEVPC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:40:11 -0000
I wrote a one-page policy statement about access to the collections of our
small-town museum (mostly Native American archaeological materials).  Our
museum is a listed non-profit organization supported by membership fees,
grants, and an annual stipend from the city government.  We are, in essence,
a "city museum" but without city employees or full fiscal support from the
city.  We are not federally-funded, so our concerns do not normally involve
federal law (e.g., NAGPRA).  However, we do have an active Native American
community nearby, and we try to protect our materials and curate them with
the respect they are due.

Furthermore, about 1/4 to 1/3 of our archaeological collection originates
from land that is NOW federally-owned.  That is, prior to 1941, collections
were made on then private property; post-1941, a large portion of our local
landscape became an Army base, and is now a modern Air Force Base. The point
is that an unscrupulous "archaeologist" could access our collections, gain
information about local archaeological sites on federal land, and then (if
s/he had base access) impact those archaeological sites.

So, in addition to the one-page policy statement, I wrote a one-page
application form for patrons to access our collections.  Basically, the
Museum Board feels that the bona fides of anyone wanting to study our
materials need to be checked as if you are checking references.  The
application process requires a 10-dollar fee, and the applicant, if approved
by our "collections access committee", receives a "collections access card"
good for six months, and renewable for a second six months. We think the fee
is fair because it defrays our long-distance phone costs when we check the
persons' references.  By the way, since we instituted this application
process, we've had about 3 inquiries (by shady patrons) and one legitimate
applicant (who was granted access).  The whole process is a great way to
discourage dilettantes and other unsavory characters.

One point to keep in mind if you are dealing with access to Native American
materials is that you may get legitimate requests from people who have not
earned university degrees.  Local historians, Shamans, Tribal Elders, and
others may request access and your policy and application process should not
be disrespectful, daunting, or elitist.

I'd be happy to share on-list or off, the one-page policy form and one-page
application (it is a MS Word-based form from some funky form generating
program that I bought years ago.  I cannot guarantee that it will survive
the emailing process!).  Alternatively, I can post, within an email, the
language of the access policy and the questions on the application.  But I
will have to do this from home, la

Let me know.

James Carucci, Ph.D.
President, Lompoc Museum Board of Trustees