From:
P Boylan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 00:34:52 +0000
Very interesting query.

Nothing scientific, but it has been commented on by several people
(including myself in "Museums 2000: Politics, Professionals, People,
Profit " which I edited - Routledge, 1992) that successive British studies
over a period of a couple of decades suggest that there was an age cohort
across the whole population which is consistently below average in
comparison with other 10 year age bands in terms of levels of museum and
related visiting.

This group was of people born between 1930 and 1939, the majority of whom
would have been of school age during World War II, when museums and
schools were closed, displaced or otherwise disrupted. The inference drawn
was that a significant percentage of the cohort never developed the
museum-going habit as children and never caught it in later years.

Patrick Boylan