From:
Jillian Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:39:25 +0000
I am a caretaker at a historic house museum (built in 1760) with a
collection that varies widely in age and materials. The staff (all
volunteer except for myself) has been increasingly striving to be more
professional in the care of the collection. One of my duties as caretaker
is cleaning the collection. I am trying to approach the collection with the
goal of keeping things clean, but not doing any damage. I have a museum
background (BLS in Historic Preservation) with several internships. I was
also an antiques dealer for 7 years.

So, periodically, I am sure I will be posting collection care questions. I
would also appreciate any suggestions on written resources that you all
think we MUST have.

Here's the first question: We have several chandeliers with wonderful tiny
prisms that need cleaning. Our director has seen glass wax for sale that is
supposed to flake off. We are concerned that it might have nasty effects on
the metal and/or the wiring. Has anyone else had good and/or bad
experiences with these products?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Jillian Adams
Caretaker
Loring-Greenough House
Jamaica Plain, MA