From:
Megan Balderston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 15:29:17 -0800
I'd also like to point out that there are some cases
in which revealing more may count in one's favor.
I've been in a job search for the past four months but
I am also three months pregnant.  While I would not
necessarily reveal this in the course of an initial
interview, at my last interview I chose to.  My
reasoning?  The job I was interviewing for was one
that had some time constraints in the project, and I
felt it was dishonest to "lead" the potential employer
on.  Did I knock myself out of the running?  Possibly,
but I rather think the organization was better off
making an informed decision in this case.  If I hadn't
revealed this, and had gotten the job I think I would
have appeared to be untrustworthy, regardless of all
of the solid, legal reasons for keeping my mouth shut.
More importantly however, it felt dishonest to me, and
that wouldn't be the way I would wish to start at an
organization.

By the way, I will be starting a job soon in which I
told my new employer about my pregnancy at the final
stage of the interview process - and it was not seen
as a liability.

Megan Balderston