From:
Wesley Creel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 13:33:50 -0600
Let me put on my old Curator of Anthropology hat for a few moments......
Why not leave the very strong odor of tobacco in the furniture?  Let the artifact "speak" about the behaviors and habits of the user.  Quite often the "behavioral scarring" on an artifact can enhance our understanding about the history of the artifact, its use (or misuse), and the culture (and sometimes health) of the user.
Wesley Creel
Administrator of Programs and Interim Director of Museums
Pink Palace Family of Museums
Memphis, Tennessee
www.memphismuseums.org
>>> [log in to unmask] 01/04/02 09:43AM >>>
What experience does anyone have in removing cigarette smoke smell from wood furniture?  The furniture in question, a recent donation, was owned by a life-long smoker. The upholstery was cleaned, removing most of the "scent," but the wood is permeated and still exudes a very strong odor.  Any recommendations?